Job description for English to French Translator (in-house position)
- Newquay, Cornwall
- Salary: Depending on candidate’s experience and qualifications
- Job type: Permanent, full time
Anja Jones Translation is a boutique translation company in Cornwall, Southwest England. We have a team of 40 freelance translators specialising in website translation, app translation and brand translation in German, French and UK English.
We work closely with Smartling Inc., a NYC-based technology company that provides us with advanced translation management software. Through Smartling, we are privileged to provide German, French and UK English translations for clients such as GoPro, Foursquare, Hightail, Jive Software, Vimeo, Kobo and many more.
On our home turf in Cornwall, Southwest England, we provide translation services for tourism & hospitality businesses as well as for local manufacturers that are looking to export their products.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced English to French translator to work from our Newquay office (we like to call it AJT HQ), to be part of a team of motivated individuals and enjoy the benefits of being in full time employment with the chance to work with some great high profile clients.
We are currently looking for a high calibre, native speaking French translator with some project management experience to join our in-house team on a full time permanent basis. The candidate will be working alongside the French project manager and be responsible for translating a wide variety of written documentation and providing expert language guidance to the Operations team.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Translate a wide variety of written documentation covering subject areas appropriate to experience/training, and as agreed with the Team Leader
- Edit and review translations completed by other translators
- Ensure all translations meet the clients’ expectations and the requirements of the target market
- Responsible for maintaining the highest level of quality translations, and contributing to linguistic quality control processes and procedures
- Provide assistance to run day-to-day operations
- Report back to the team leader as appropriate
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- French native speaker with a perfect command of the French language (written and spoken) and keeps current with the way the French language evolves
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
- Passionate about languages and different cultures
- Graduate with a degree in translation (preferred)
- At least 3 years translation experience (preferred)
- A good understanding of quality assurance methodology and criteria
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to read through material and rewrite it in the target language, ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained
- A flair for transcreation
- Self-starter with a positive work attitude
- Flexible work attitude
- Enjoys to work as part of a team
- Computer literate (Mac, Microsoft package, InDesign)
- Adaptable, fast learner
This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly skilled team in a dynamic and exciting industry where no two days are the same!
Anja Jones Translation will offer a full training and support program with competitive rates of pay and the opportunity to be part of an exciting team.
If you believe you have the necessary requirements to fit the role and would like to be considered for this opportunity, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting reference JOBFR01 in the subject line.
Closing date: 30/01/2015