Job description for English to French proofreader (in-house position)
Status: Recruiting now, on-going
Anja Jones Translation is a boutique translation company in Cornwall, South West England. We have a team of in-house translators and freelance translators specialising in website translation, app translation and brand translation in German, French and UK English.
We work closely with Smartling Inc., a NYC-based technology company that provides us with advanced translation management software. Through Smartling, we are privileged to provide German, French and UK English translations for clients such as Hootsuite, Foursquare, Jive Software, Vimeo, Kobo and many more.
On our home turf in Cornwall, we provide translation services for tourism and hospitality businesses as well as for local manufacturers that are looking to export their products.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a graduate English to French translator/proofreader to work from our Newquay office (we like to call it AJT HQ) and to become part of a team of motivated individuals, with the chance to work with some great high profile clients.
We are looking for a talented French native speaker with strong writing skills to join our in-house team as a proofreader/editor on a full-time permanent basis. The position would be ideally suited to a recent graduate in the fields of language, linguistic, creative writing, marketing, journalism or related fields. You will be working alongside the French project manager and be responsible for proofreading a wide variety of written documentation. Working within a small office-based team is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience and develop your proofreading and editing skills.
- Job title: Junior proofreader
- Location: Newquay, Cornwall
- Starting salary: £18,000 per annum
- Duration: This is a full-time, permanent position and we are looking for someone who can commit long-term (at least 1 year)
- Working hours: 9am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday, including 1 hour unpaid lunch break
- Holidays: 20 days paid holidays per annum + UK public bank holidays (8)
- Sick pay: 6 days paid sick leave per annum
- 20 days remote working per annum
- Workplace pension (optional)
- Start date: Flexible
Key Responsibilities include:
- Edit and review a wide variety of written documentation completed by other translators, covering subject areas appropriate to experience/training, and as agreed with the Team Leader
- Ensure all translations meet the clients’ expectations and the requirements of the target market
- Responsible for maintaining the highest level of quality translations, and contributing to linguistic quality control processes and procedures
- Provide assistance in running day-to-day operations
- Report back to the team leader as appropriate
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- French native speaker with a perfect command of the French language (written and spoken) and keeps up to date with the way the French language evolves
- A keen eye for spotting grammatical errors and typos
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
- Passionate about languages and different cultures
- Degree-level education
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to read through material and rewrite it in the target language, ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained
- A flair for transcreation
- Self-starter with a positive work attitude
- Flexible work attitude
- Enjoys working as part of a team
- Computer literate (Mac, Microsoft package)
- Adaptable, quick learner
- Team player
This is a great opportunity to join a highly skilled team in a dynamic and exciting industry where no two days are the same!
Anja Jones Translation will offer a full training and support program, competitive salary and the opportunity to be part of a young, dynamic team.
If you believe you have the necessary skills to fit the role and would like to be considered for this opportunity, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting reference JOBFR36 in the subject line.