Graduate Junior Translator Scheme
Calling all graduate or soon-to-be graduate translators! Are you coming towards the end of your Translation degree or MA, having thoroughly absorbed Jeremy Munday’s Introduction to Translation Studies? Do you now feel it is time to put what you have learnt into practice as a freelancer? Or perhaps you graduated a little while ago and are looking to widen your experience and enhance your skills?
Here at AJT we want to support recent translation graduates like you as you embark upon your journey as a freelance translator. That’s why we are pleased to announce the launch of our Graduate Junior Translator Scheme, where we work closely with you to support you on a number of varied and interesting paid projects. We recognise that in this industry gaining translation experience is paramount, and strongly believe that you should be fairly rewarded and supported in your work from the outset.
What we can offer you as a Graduate Junior Translator at AJT:
- Paid freelance translation work, including a review of your per word rate after 6 months working with us
- The opportunity to translate a variety of texts, from marketing texts, to app translations, to e-commerce and B2B marketing texts
- Constructive written feedback from a team of experienced translation professionals and editors
- Training on the use of CAT tools, such as Smartling and Memsource, including one-to-one Skype sessions to answer any question you may have
- The opportunity to work with a company that truly cares about your personal development and growth
How much time would I need to dedicate?
We would initially ask you to translate for us on a weekly basis, as and when jobs that play to your strengths come in. Here at AJT, after training we really like to give regular work to our freelancers.
How and when would I be paid?
We will discuss your per word rate with you, and you would be paid on exactly the same payment terms as our regular translators.
What are the next steps?
Before welcoming you on board, we will:
- Hold an informal Skype chat with you to discuss the scheme further and get to know you
- Ask you to participate in a short live test, after which you will receive guidance and feedback from our in-house team
- Ask you to sign a confidentiality agreement before the training and work begins!
If working with us as a Graduate Junior Translator sounds up your street, we would love too hear from you. At the moment we are particularly hoping to collaborate with EN>FR translators. If you are a native French speaker, please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference: AJTJun01
We will soon be looking to recruit Graduate Junior Translators with different language combinations, so please watch this space!